I love potatoes. There. I said it. Out loud. Sort of….
And I have a quick side dish for all potato lovers that are frantic to get dinner on the table quickly before the screaming crazies take over the kitchen and begin eating all the cookies, chips, and other delicious things you try to hide from them. Then it won’t matter how yummy that chicken is that’s been roasting in the oven, because the bellies will be full of junk.
So, all you’ll need is a 28-ounce bag of baby potatoes, three cloves of potatoes, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, ready-set-go…
- Place the baby potatoes in a microwave-safe container, add 1/4 cup water, cover with saran wrap, and microwave for 8 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, mince garlic. Prep the rest of your meal for serving because the rest will go very quickly.
- When potatoes are done, strain them and place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Sprinkle some olive oil on them and roll them around with the minced garlic.
- Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and pop them on the top shelf of the oven and broil for 5-7 minutes until garlic is crispy. Pull them out of the oven and sprinkle with parm cheese. Broil 2-3 more minutes and SERVE with your meal.
That’s ALL! Sometimes, you can even find them in microwaveable bags, which makes the whole process easier. BOOM! You are the superhero mamma. Or Pappa… because Pappas cook too, although according to my experience, they are MUCH MORE MESSIER than mammas and leave a long, LOOOONG trail of cleaning up stuff… What? Huh? Nothing to see here. Move along, move along…
It took me longer to type this up than it will to make the potatoes! Here are some yummy variations — keep the garlic and olive oil, salt and pepper, and add the following:
- Before broiling, sprinkle with smoked paprika, chili powder, and cumin, toss well. (do not us parm cheese) Broil for 5 minutes and serve.
- After broiling, sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar, toss well (do not us parm cheese) and serve.
- After broiling, sprinkle with cayenne pepper, diced jalapeno, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or smoked cheese), toss well, and serve.
- After broiling, sprinkle with Old Bay, a little bit of Malt Vinegar, toss well and serve.
- After broiling, toss with 1/4 cup pesto and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and serve.